Summer has finally arrived! That means backyard cookouts, beach bonfires, and many chances for you to overindulge on meals and snacks that can mess with your summer body goals. If you’re looking to satisfy your taste buds while maintaining a trim waistline, look no further! These 5 healthy snacks for the summer will not only make you say, “Mmmm,” they’ll help you get ready to show some skin.
Berry Pomegranate Creamsicles – Ice cream and fruit lovers alike can enjoy this creamy treat.
– Blend pomegranate seeds, blueberries, skim milk and raspberry gelato. Pour the mixture into an ice tray and cover it with plastic wrap. Before leaving the tray in the freezer overnight, pierce each section with an upright popsicle.
“Bruschetta” Chicken Bites – A protein packed twist on a classic Italian appetizer
– Chop tomatoes into thick chunks and add garlic, salt, pepper, a dash of balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of olive oil. Divide a chicken breast into 4 pieces and cook them inside on the stove or outside on the grill. Skewer the chicken, tomato, and a basil leaf or two before drizzling on a store bought or homemade balsamic glaze.
Sriracha Deviled Eggs – the capsicum in spicy Sriracha sauce will help curb your appetite and increase your internal temperature, which equals more calories burned at rest!
– Boil your desired number of eggs for about 12 minutes, run cold water over them, then cut them in half when they are cool enough for you to gently remove the shells. Remove the yolks and place them in a separate mixing bowl. Break up the yolks and add a spoonful of light mayo or Greek yogurt, Sriracha, garlic, paprika, and a touch of salt. Combine the ingredients into a paste and spoon it into each egg white half. If you’re not ready to gobble these up ASAP, be sure to refrigerate them.
Parmesan Kale Chips – Satisfy your cheese and salt cravings in one crispy bite.
– While your oven heats to 400 degrees, prepare the kale by washing and tearing the leaves into large pieces; they will shrink and burn in the oven if the pieces are initially too small. Drizzle them with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt, arrange them on a cookie sheet, and into the oven they go! Check on them every 5 minutes for about 15 minutes. They are done when they have turned dark green and are curled up at the edges. As soon as they come out of the oven, sprinkle your kale chips with parmesan or the powered cheese of your choice.
Greek Yogurt Covered Berries – Avoid the added sugar in store bought versions by making this sweet snack yourself!
– Start by choosing your berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all suitable options. Next, choose your Greek yogurt flavor. Yogurts that do not have added syrups or fruit will yield the proper texture. Here’s the easy part: Stick a toothpick into the berries, one by one, and swirl them in your yogurt. Place them on a cookie sheet, making sure they are not touching, and freeze for at least one hour.